Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted California butter, softened
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup California milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 12 tablespoons marshmallow fluff (for filling)
- Whipped cream
- Ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour insides of 12 muffin cups or insert paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, making sure each is incorporated before adding the next.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Note: mixture will curdle slightly.
- With electric mixer on low speed, add one-third of cocoa and flour mixture to butter and sugar mixture, mixing until combined.
- Add half of milk mixture and mix well. Mixing well between each addition, add another third of the dry ingredients, the remaining milk mixture and then the remaining dry ingredients.
- Evenly divide batter between cupcake molds. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans. Cool completely before frosting.
- Scoop a hole out of the center of each cupcake about 1/2-inch deep and 1 1/2-inches wide. Fill each hole with 1 tablespoon of marshmallow fluff. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, place a large dollop of whipped cream on top of each cupcake. Dust with ground cinnamon and serve immediately.