FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact:
(650) 871-6455 ext. 304
Real California Cheeses Show Their Stuff at Annual American Cheese Society Competition
California Cow’s Milk Cheesemakers Garner 32 Awards During Seattle Event
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., & MODESTO, Calif. – August 31, 2010 – California cow’s milk cheesemakers brought home 32 awards from the 2010 annual cheese competition held by the American Cheese Society (ACS), August 28th in Seattle, Wash.
The American Cheese Society recognizes the finest cheeses produced in the United States. A record 1,462 cheeses and cultured dairy products were entered into the competition. California cheeses had another strong showing this year competing against 225 producers representing 34 states, plus Canada and Mexico, another ACS record.
California cow’s milk cheeses won 13 first-place, 7 second-place and 12 third-place awards in this year’s judging. California first-place winners in the 2010 competition included:
- Karoun Dairies Inc, Turlock, for Queso Crema in the Hispanic & Portuguese Style Cheeses category, Feta – Green Olives and Thyme in the Feta Cheeses category and Labne Kefir Cheese in the Marinated Cheeses category
- Bellwether Farms, Petaluma, for Fromage Blanc in the Fresh Unripened Cheeses category and Crème Fraiche in the Cultured Milk Products category
- Bravo Farms, Traver, for Silver Mountain in the Cheddars category and Bravo Bl’u in the Blue Mold Cheeses category
- Rumiano Cheese Company, Crescent City, for Dry Monterey Jack and Monterey Jack in the American Originals category and Mediterranean Jack in the Flavored Cheeses category
- Fiscalini Cheese Company, Modesto, for Purple Moon in the Marinated Cheeses category
- Lactalis American Group – Mozzarella Fresca, Tipton, for Fresh Mozzarella 1/3 oz. Ciliegini in the Italian Type Cheeses category
- Marin French Cheese Company, Petaluma, for Schlosskranz in the American Originals category
In total, 11 California cow’s milk cheese and dairy producers won awards. In addition to the first-place cow’s milk cheese awards above, Marin French Cheese Company took home three second and four third-place awards for their cow’s milk cheeses, Cowgirl Creamery of Pt. Reyes and Fagundes Old World Cheese of Hanford each took home one second and two third-place awards, Lactalis received two third-place awards, Vella Cheese Company of Sonoma received one second-place award, Karoun Dairies Inc. took home a second-place award, Fiscalini and Rumiano garnered third-place awards and McClelland’s Dairy of Petaluma received third-place in the Butters category for its European Style Organic Artisan Butter.
California produces more than 250 varieties and styles of cow’s milk cheeses that carry the Real California Cheese seal, which certifies they are made with 100 percent California milk. Real California Cheeses can be found at retailers throughout the U.S., Mexico and Asia. For more information on California cheese and dairy products, visit: www.RealCaliforniaMilk.com. For more information on ACS competition winners, go to: www.cheesesociety.org.
# # #
|ACS Cow's Milk Winners_California.pdf||248.15 KB|