TRACY, Calif. – June 30, 2016 – California cow’s milk processors that carry the Real California Cheese or Milk seals brought home 89 awards including Best of Show during the 2016 annual cheese competition held by the California State Fair in Sacramento. Pt. Reyes Farmstead Cheese was nominated as Best of Show Cow’s Milk Cheese and Best of California Cow’s Milk Cheese during the annual event and four processors, California Dairies, Inc., Fiscalini Cheese Co., Sierra Nevada Cheese Co. and Valley Ford Cheese Co., were nominated as Best of California Cow’s Milk Cheese.
In total, Real California cheeses won 34 first-place, 31second-place and 24 third-place awards in this year’s judging. Highlights of these wins include:
- Bellwether Farms, 3rd for Crème Fraiche, Cultured Cheese – Crème Fraiche
- Cacique, Inc.,1st for Panela, Semi-Soft Cheese – Hispanic Style
- California Dairies Inc.,1st for Real Cream Cheese, Soft Cheese – Cream Cheese
- Fagundes Old-World Cheese, 2nd for St. Jorge, Hard Cheese – Hispanic, Portuguese Style
- Fiscalini Cheese Co., 1st for Bandage Wrapped Cheddar – Semi-Hard Cheese – Aged Cheddar
- Joseph Gallo Farms, 1st for Marbled Jack – Semi-Hard Cheese – Other
- Karoun Dairies Inc., 2nd for Kefir, Cultured Cheese – Kefir
- Marin French Cheese Co., 1st for Dark Moon – Semi-Soft Cheese – White Surface Mold – Brie
- Marquez Brothers International, Inc., 1st for Queso Casero – Semi-Soft Cheese – Hispanic Style
- Nicasio Valley Cheese Co., 1st for Foggy Morning – Cultured Cheese – Fromage Blanc
- Orland Farmstead Creamery, 2nd for Fromage Blanc – Cultured Cheese – Fromage Blanc
- Point Reyes Farmstead, 1st for Point Reyes Bay Blue, Semi-Soft Cheese – Blue Veined Cheese
- Rumiano Cheese Company, 2nd for Dry Jack, Hard Cheese – Aged Jack
- Sierra Nevada Cheese Company, 1st for Cultured Classics Organic Crème Fraiche, Cultured Cheese – Crème Faiche
- Spring Hill Jersey Cheese, 1st for Monterey Jack, Semi-Hard Cheese – Monterey Jack
- Stuyt Dairy Farmstead Cheese Co., 1st for Chipotle Gouda Cheese, Semi-Soft Cheese – Other
- Valley Ford Cheese Co., 1st for Estero Gold Reserve Montasio, Hard Cheese – Grating or Grana Style
Real food comes from real people. Consumers can look for the Real California Milk and Cheese seals on dairy brands throughout the U.S. These seals ensure they are made with 100 percent milk produced by California dairy farm families. Ninety nine percent of California dairies are family owned. The State is the largest producers of milk, butter, ice cream and nonfat dry milk in the U.S.. It is the second largest producer of cheese and yogurt in the nation.
For more information on California State Fair Commercial Cheese Competition, go to: castatefair.org/california-commercial-cheese/.