SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., & MODESTO, Calif. – August 12, 2013 – California cow’s milk cheesemakers brought home 20 awards from the 2013 annual cheese competition held by the American Cheese Society (ACS), August 2nd in Madison, WI.
The American Cheese Society recognizes the finest cheeses produced in the United States. A record 1,794 cheeses and cultured dairy products were entered into the competition. California cheeses had another strong showing this year competing against 257 companies representing 34 states, plus Canada, Mexico and Columbia, another ACS record.
California cow’s milk cheeses won 5 first-place, 7 second-place and 8 third-place awards in this year’s judging. California first-place winners in the 2013 competition included:
- Karoun Dairies Inc, Turlock, for Karoun Yogurt in the Yogurts – Plain With No Additional Ingredients – Made From Cow’s Milk category
- Lactalis American Group in California, for Mozzarella Fresca Marinated Medallion in the Open Category – Cheeses Marinated in Liquids and Ingredients – Made From Cow’s Milk
- Marin French Cheese Company, Petaluma, for Truffle Brie in the Flavored Cheeses category, Soft-Ripened With Flavor Added – All Milks
- Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co, Pt. Reyes, for Point Reyes Fresh Mozzarella in the Italian Type Cheeses category, Fresh Mozzarella – 8 oz. or More (Balls or Shapes) – All Milks
- Sierra Nevada Cheese Company, Willows, for Gina Marie Cream Cheese in the Fresh Unripened Cheeses category, Open Category – Fresh Unripened Cheeses – Made From Cow’s Milk
In total, 11 California cow’s milk cheese and dairy producers won awards. In addition to the first-place cow’s milk cheese awards above, the following cheesemakers won the following awards for their cow’s milk cheeses:
- Belfiore Cheese Company, Berkeley, second-place for Belfiore Mediterranean-Style Feta in Brine 12 oz.
- Bellwether Farms, Petaluma, second-place awards for Crème Fraîche and Fromage Blanc.
- Cowgirl Creamery, Pt. Reyes, third-place for Crème Fraîche.
- Karoun Dairies Inc, second-place for Fresh Basket Cheese and third-place for Queso Del Valle Queso Fresco and Karoun Smoked Braided String Cheese.
- Lactalis American Group in California, second-place for Galbani 1/3 oz. Marinated Ball and third-place for Galbani 4 oz. Ball Water-Packed.
- Marin French Cheese, third-place for Traditional Brie.
- Nicasio Valley Cheese Company, Nicasio, second-place for San Geronimo.
- Oakdale Cheese & Specialties, Oakdale, third-place for Aged Gouda.
- Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co., third-place for Pt. Reyes Bay Blue.
- Rumiano Cheese Company, Willows, third-place for Dry Jack.
- Sierra Nevada Cheese Company, second-place for Heroes Greek Yogurt.
California produces more than 250 varieties and styles of cow’s milk cheeses that carry the Real California Cheese seal, which certifies they are made with 100 percent California milk. Real California Cheeses can be found at retailers throughout the U.S., Mexico and Asia. For more information on California cheese and dairy products, visit: www.RealCaliforniaMilk.com. For more information on ACS competition winners, go to: www.cheesesociety.org.
# # #